[geeks] Backlight issues - should I use AppleCare?

Bill Bradford mrbill at mrbill.net
Mon Jan 8 15:31:24 CST 2007

On Mon, Jan 08, 2007 at 03:12:19PM -0500, Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:
> I would understand if it went *dark* and he said the smoke coating had
> caused overheating of some component. I've seen smoker's crud cause
> overheating in several systems.

Correct.  I'm not stupid enough to try a warranty/service claim on a
system that's obviously smoke-damaged like that.

> But to make a bright spot... that's very odd.

Especially a bright spot that's existed (just less noticeable) since the
day I bought the system.

> In any case, you don't have to go any further than the fact that he made
> his decision without even looking.

Exactly.

> If smoking damaged the computer, most of the time it will be heat
> releated (or otherwise a buildup issue), and you can see it.
> He didn't even check before making that claim.

Yep, that was my main problem with the service I got.  I'm still waiting
on a call from the service department; maybe they'll just call me and say
"we replaced the LCD and the superdrive, come get it".

The tech (who I won't name; we dont need any Internet Vigilante crap),
the "Apple Genius" that I dealt with when I took the machine in for service,
left a bad taste in my mouth and a very bad impression about Apple service.

Aaron, the head of the tech department at the Houston Galleria Apple
Store, is a great guy - he's the person I spoke to on the phone yesterday.
I told him "I don't have an issue with you at all; I just have an issue
with the guy who I spoke to who "diagnosed" the problem without even
taking the machine out of the box."

Bill

--
Bill Bradford