[geeks] solaris compatibility tool

Francois Dion francois.dion at gmail.com
Wed Feb 28 13:37:56 CST 2007

On 2/28/07, Lionel Peterson <lionel4287 at verizon.net> wrote:
> >From: Francois Dion <francois.dion at gmail.com>
> >I just noticed that Sun has a Java web start application to test
> >hardware compatibility with the newly released Solaris Express
> >Developer Edition (Feb 07). Let me bore you with the details:
> >
> >http://solarisdesktop.blogspot.com/2007/02/how-compatible-is-your-computer.html
> >
> >Actually, it is quite short, because I'm blogging in 3 languages
> >(please be lenient with my Spanish). I figured this would be a good
> >way to improve my vocabulary.
>
> I've got Solaris Express running on my Dell laptop in under 2 hours, with WiFi working off my Atheros WiFi card (Cheap ZyXEL PCMCIA card). The graphics are great, the system is snappy (Celeron 1.4 GHz, 1 Meg cache, 60 Gig HD, 1280 Meg RAM (1.25 Gig)), and I'm playing a CD over the internal sound card/speakers.
>
> This is really nice.
>
> The WiFi port wasn't activated initially, the internal Ethernet port was. I had to de-activate the wired connection, configure the wireless connection (repeatedly, I couldn't get changes to stick, activate the port, and set the wireless to activate on boot (and the wired to NOT activate).

Do you switch between wired / wireless? inetmenu

I think it is now included with Solaris Express. It is on my laptop,
but it might be from my previous install (did an upgrade). I got it
from:
http://www.opensolaris.org/os/community/laptop/inetmenu/

Not only that, but I can actually switch between "dialup" (verizon 3G
merlin card), wifi or bge0. I did have to configure the ppp using this
info (driver is included already with Solaris Express):

http://www.opensolaris.org/os/project/wwan/

This is much simpler that what I had to endure under windows,
switching between dhcp and static, verizon tools, network neighborhood
etc. This is but 2 clicks to switch.

Francois