[geeks] solaris compatibility tool

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Wed Feb 28 12:53:51 CST 2007

>From: Francois Dion <francois.dion at gmail.com>
>Date: 2007/02/27 Tue PM 04:38:35 CST
>To: The Geeks List <geeks at sunhelp.org>
>Subject: [geeks] solaris compatibility tool

>I just noticed that Sun has a Java web start application to test
>hardware compatibility with the newly released Solaris Express
>Developer Edition (Feb 07). Let me bore you with the details:
>
>http://solarisdesktop.blogspot.com/2007/02/how-compatible-is-your-computer.html
>
>Actually, it is quite short, because I'm blogging in 3 languages
>(please be lenient with my Spanish). I figured this would be a good
>way to improve my vocabulary.

I've got Solaris Express running on my Dell laptop in under 2 hours, with WiFi working off my Atheros WiFi card (Cheap ZyXEL PCMCIA card). The graphics are great, the system is snappy (Celeron 1.4 GHz, 1 Meg cache, 60 Gig HD, 1280 Meg RAM (1.25 Gig)), and I'm playing a CD over the internal sound card/speakers.

This is really nice.

The WiFi port wasn't activated initially, the internal Ethernet port was. I had to de-activate the wired connection, configure the wireless connection (repeatedly, I couldn't get changes to stick, activate the port, and set the wireless to activate on boot (and the wired to NOT activate).

All in all, quite nice - it took two hours, including swapping out the HD for a blank one.

Lionel