[geeks] Got a nice desktop case today...

Francois Dion francois.dion at gmail.com
Wed Feb 28 12:44:10 CST 2007

On 2/28/07, Sandwich Maker <adh at an.bradford.ma.us> wrote:
> " From: Lionel Peterson <lionel4287 at verizon.net>
> " Sorry about getting you all excited, MythTV doesn't run on Solaris,
> " but I *suppose* you could PLAY video streams from elsewhere, assuming
> " you can overcome the physical connection between the computer and the
> " TV (my big TV has VGA input as well as every other combination known
> " to man ;^)...
>
> the swoopy linux drivers are a problem but i don't see why the guts
> couldn't be compiled on solaris.
>
> there's also mpeg4ip, mplayer, and vlc, variously featureful but all
> supposedly complieable on solaris.

Video capture drivers for Solaris:
http://bt848x.cvs.sourceforge.net/bt848x/

Solaris comes with RealPlayer 10. Also has RhythmBox and Totem, both
are GStreamer apps. And there are GStreamer plugins available from
Fluendo to do the Microsoft formats:

http://www.fluendo.com/press/releases/PR-2007-01.html

xvid, mplayer, xmms, vlc (videolan) and dss (darwin streaming server)
are all precompiled on blastwave (pkg-get -i mplayer  , for example).

The tools are there, somebody just need to get everything working
together. ZFS would be obviously an ideal filesystem for video
storage. I already use it for audio storage (I got silent corruption
on a fat32 system - not going back through that experience).

Francois