[geeks] Got a nice desktop case today...

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Wed Feb 28 10:34:45 CST 2007

>From: Joshua Boyd <jdboyd at jdboyd.net>
>Date: 2007/02/28 Wed AM 09:11:45 CST
>To: The Geeks List <geeks at sunhelp.org>
>Subject: Re: [geeks] Got a nice desktop case today...

>On Tue, Feb 27, 2007 at 04:16:09PM -0600, Lionel Peterson wrote:
>>
>> I can't decide what to put in the case, either the Asus MB & the 2.2
>> GHz Opteron from my upgraded Ultra 20 (BTW, the dual core Opteron 165
>> is still going strong, no problems to-date, touch wood), or a low-end
>> 775 socket MB with one of the Intel 631 Pentium 4, 3.0 GHz CPUs... (I
>> plan to run Solaris x64 on it)
>
>Solaris x64 next to the TV?  Rockin!  Do the WinPVR cards work under
>Solaris, or are you planning to use something else?  Or are you just
>getting us excited over nothing by getting a Media PC case to run
>Solaris for other purposes.

I bought it as a nice desktop case, and plan to use it for same.

I have no idea if WinPVR cards work, but I assume they won't - it was after I got the case home that I learned this case was inteded for a media center system - the things that make it a good media box make it a nice desktop case as well...

Sorry about getting you all excited, MythTV doesn't run on Solaris, but I *suppose* you could PLAY video streams from elsewhere, assuming you can overcome the physical connection between the computer and the TV (my big TV has VGA input as well as every other combination known to man ;^)...

Lionel