[geeks] solaris compatibility tool

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Tue Feb 27 20:31:30 CST 2007

>From: Francois Dion <francois.dion at gmail.com>
>Date: 2007/02/27 Tue PM 04:38:35 CST
>To: The Geeks List <geeks at sunhelp.org>
>Subject: [geeks] solaris compatibility tool

>I just noticed that Sun has a Java web start application to test
>hardware compatibility with the newly released Solaris Express
>Developer Edition (Feb 07). Let me bore you with the details:
>
>http://solarisdesktop.blogspot.com/2007/02/how-compatible-is-your-computer.html
>
>Actually, it is quite short, because I'm blogging in 3 languages
>(please be lenient with my Spanish). I figured this would be a good
>way to improve my vocabulary.

I just got it to work for me, I had to click on the name of the tool, then let it run (I am on a WinXP Pro laptop). I tried to download with SDM, but I think your deep link into Sun has a problem that impacts SDM somehow...

The tool advised me that every device on this cheapo laptop (Dell Inspiron 1200) with a ZyXEL WiFi PCI card is supported, except the modem. WiFi, Ethernet, video, everything but the modem - how am I supposed to use a laptop without a 56K dial-up connection ;^)

Well, I may have to downlaod that version of Solaris Express and put WiFi on Solaris to the test - I was going to flatten this laptop tonight anyway...

Lionel