[geeks] Got a nice desktop case today...

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Tue Feb 27 20:10:52 CST 2007

>From: Charles Shannon Hendrix <shannon at widomaker.com>
>Date: 2007/02/27 Tue PM 07:40:16 CST
>To: geeks at sunhelp.org
>Subject: Re: [geeks] Got a nice desktop case today...

>On Tue, 27 Feb 2007 16:16:09 -0600 (CST)
>Lionel Peterson <lionel4287 at verizon.net> wrote:
>
>> Went to my local Micro Center store in PA, and on an impulse got a new
>> desktop case, an Antec NSK 2400 (see
>> http://www.silentpcreview.com/article591-page1.html for more than you ever
>> wanted to read about a case!). I thought it looked good, and with their
>> sale that was going on, it was $87, which, for an Antec case w/ 380 Watt
>> power supply, is, IMHO, a pretty good deal.
>
>It says it only has 2 internal 3.5" bays.
>
>Is that a hard and fast limit, or does it really have more?

Well, as designed, two is the limit, but see below...

>I would love to have a case about like that for a small server, but I really
>need 4 drives.

Without feet it is 3U tall, on purpose.

>Looks like a decent little case though.

Do you need an optical drive on your planned machine? If not, you can get 3x SATA hotswap trays that occupy two 5 1/4" bays.

The two 3 1/2" HDs are mounted on their sides in the front of the, suspended on grommets to isolate the drives and reduce noise.

This case was designed to fit in an audio rack/under a TV and "fit in" - it was designed to be quiet and accomodate "most" media PC applications. For example, a microATX MB has three PCI slots and an AGP slot, there are vents on top of the AGP vent to increase airflow for the video card. Three PCi slots give you dual tuners and an add-in audio card (if needed), along with a discrete AGP video card.

Flip through the whole article and look at the pictures - they really show the inside of the case well (the fellow that wrote the review consulted with Antec ont he case design)...

Lionel