[geeks] An NFS conundrum (solved)

Sandwich Maker adh at an.bradford.ma.us
Mon Feb 19 15:57:27 CST 2007

" From: Phil Stracchino <phil.stracchino at speakeasy.net>
"
" I finally found the correct magic invocation for this, after reading the
" manpages on the NEWLY INSTALLED box instead of my own outdated ones.
" And yes, this turned out to be the key.  The clue was that when I set
" minbar's nfsd to serve tcp *only*, nfs broke on babylon5 in the same way
" as it broke on llioness.  So despite all the traffic LOOKING right, and
" despite doing all appropriate packet scrubbing and reassembly on the
" firewall, UDP datagrams are in fact getting hosed going across the firewall.
"
" I've now changed all my nfs mounts from rsize=8192,wsize=8192,soft to
" rsize=16384,wsize=16384,harc,intr,tcp,nfsvers=3 and it's all working
" now.  After a little more experimentation I may try going to nfsvers=4.

rsize=1024,wsize=1024 would be a good experiment, as packets that size
shouldn't be messed with.  i had to do that once, many moons ago, for
a transcontinental nfs mount.  it wasn't my idea.