[geeks] Dual Core Rules: your bugs will run twice as fast

Sandwich Maker adh at an.bradford.ma.us
Wed Feb 14 20:29:12 CST 2007

" From: Patrick Giagnocavo <patrick at zill.net>
"
" On Feb 13, 2007, at 1:58 PM, Joshua Boyd wrote:
" >>
" >
" > I haven't been impressed with the speed.  The few things were it would
" > really matter don't seem to be as well optimized.  For instance,
" > mplayer
" > and ffmpeg don't really seem to be any faster on a 1.8ghz C2D in 64 bit
" > mode compared to a 1.7ghz P-M, and I suspect it is because of less hand
" > assembly tuning.  I might appreciate the compile speed, but I can't use
" > 64bit mode for compiling (unless I set up 32bit cross compilers, a step
" > that I just haven't had the time for).
" >
"
" I wonder what would happen if you tried the Sun Studio Compiler for
" Linux.  Might it generate better 64bit code?

it certainly should, according to sun - at least on the sparc
platform.  arguable whether they'd be better than gcc on x64.