[geeks] pci express x8 video card?

Francois Dion francois.dion at gmail.com
Wed Feb 14 08:50:58 CST 2007

On 2/13/07, Lionel Peterson <lionel4287 at verizon.net> wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-02-13 at 16:34, Francois Dion wrote:
> > Looking for an nvidia video card that is pci express x8, if there is
> > such a thing? All I see is x1 or x16. Anything x4 or x8?
>
> What do you have that has a 4x or 8x slot?

1u server, has a single x8 slot through a x8 riser.

> There are some (others posted links, including Matrox[0]) that are 1x,
> but 4x/8x seems pretty odd (based on my exp.) for a video adapter.
>
> I've seen 4x and 8x RAID cards, 1x network cards, and 16x video cards -
> are you sure your BIOS/board supports 4x/8x video - PCIe is pretty hit
> or miss on many things...

I dont know for a fact that the BIOS will support this. If it comes to
it, I'll just run a x1.

I did find this:
http://www.orbitmicro.com/product_lines/riser_cards/pci_express_extenders.html

Specifically: PEXP16-SX-16/8
PCI Express X8 converter to X16 Wearout Extender - OEM
Goldfingers: PCI Express X8  Height: 1.05"
PCIe Slot: PCI Express X16

The problem of course is that the card wouldn't fit right. I might
look at getting an extra riser and taking the dremel to it to get the
card to fit.

Francois