[geeks] Dual Core Rules: your bugs will run twice as fast

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Tue Feb 13 13:09:08 CST 2007

Mark wrote:
> On 13 Feb 2007, at 16:33, Joshua Boyd wrote:
>
>> I would say that Safari sucks approximately equally.  Apple claims
>> that
>> they are now going to get serious about cleaning it up and
>> stablizing it
>> though.
>
> Oddly enough in the week of using Safari on my Mac Pro I've have no
> issues with the Universal Binary, however I always used to get
> lockups/slowdowns/crashes on the same version of the PowerPC binary
> on my iMac G4. The speed discrepancy probably has a lot to do with
> it, maybe it's just that it needs plenty of CPU resources (RAM is not
> really an issue on either machine) to work well. I know the
> JAvascript engine especially has maxed out an entire core on my Mac
> Pro processing a lengthy script in Wordpress.

A program should never crash because the CPU is slow.

That makes absolutely no sense at all.

> Personally I think web browsers get a lot of flack for the inability
> of may web designers (myself included) to code stuff right.

If the browser is written correctly, how could what a web designer does cause
it to crash?

Granted, WWW design is mostly crap, but that's no excuse for the browser to crash.

> have issues, Firefox has it's memory leaks, Safari crashes from time
> to time, Opera is just... Opera... The stem of the problems though is
> the lack of understandable guidelines and set-in-stone rules for this
> stuff. It makes web development, and subsequently also writing a
> browser, a flaming nightmare. Standards are great, ain't they??

Again, that makes no sense.  I agree that the standards are all a mess, but
that's still no reason for the program to crash.

Over the years I've been given a lot of bad specifications for software I've
written.

But every time my code crashed, it was my fault, not the specs fault.

I might have been foolish to try and meet a bad spec, but ultimately when my
program dumped core, it was something I did wrong.

--
shannon / There is a limit to how stupid people really are -- just as there's
-------'  a limit to the amount of hydrogen in the Universe.  There's a lot,