[geeks] 24 inch monitors

Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Mon Dec 31 21:45:52 CST 2007

On Dec 31, 2007, at 6:50 PM, Phil Stracchino wrote:

> Would the Samsung 246BWW work for you?  Mwave has it for $535:
> http://www.mwave.com/mwave/viewspec.hmx?scriteria=4430561

No, it uses a 6-bit TN panel.

I definitely want a real 8-bit panel, and PVA seems to be the best
overall compromise right now.

> They also have the 245T for $670:
> http://www.mwave.com/mwave/viewspec.hmx?scriteria=4455953

I've looked at this one.

I'm not sure... thinking about it.  Wish I could see one.

> or the LG L245WP for $615:
> http://www.mwave.com/mwave/viewspec.hmx?scriteria=4310338

This is an MVA panel, which I'm avoiding for various reasons.

Some information about this one for the curious:

LG listed this unit on their website as an IPS panel display, but
that's not true, it is MVA.  The display panel is made by AUOptotronics.

> Myself, I'm rather interested by the HANNS-G 28" HG281BPD for
> $600:http://www.mwave.com/mwave/viewspec.hmx?scriteria=AA71774
>
> Viewsonic also has a 28", the VX2835WM, which mWave has for $640:
> http://www.mwave.com/mwave/viewspec.hmx?scriteria=BA23982

Neat, but I kinda like 24 inches.

30 inches is really the next step up if you want displays that end on
convenient byte
boundaries, and screen ratios.

Between 24 and 30 what they do is just make the pixels bigger, and
personally I don't like it.

Some people love it obviously.  I personally found them a little ugly,
as I could see the "screen door" a lot more in them, I guess because
the pixels are physically larger.

I think I'm mostly leaning toward the Dell or the NEC.

I always worry when ordering an LCD because of dead pixels and things
like that.  I have never gotten any before, but it always worries me.

--
Shannon Hendrix
shannon at widomaker.com