[geeks] Phrasebooks

Geoffrey S. Mendelson gsm at mendelson.com
Mon Dec 31 07:56:54 CST 2007

On Mon, Dec 31, 2007 at 08:26:28AM -0500, Michael Thompson wrote:
> The most important language skill is being able to say thank you,
> excuse me, hello, and good bye in your host country's language. If
> you want an interesting reaction when you are visiting, try saying
> that you don't speak their language in their language.

I once met a person who knew how to say "I am a pencil" in 18
languages. Not much else in any except English, his native
language and French because his wife made her living teaching
French.

It was a great ice breaker at parties and after saying that
most people took pity on him and helped him if they did not
speak English.

BTW, my wife has had better luck speaking English with an
Israeli accent to Israelis than speaking Hebrew with an
American accent.

Geoff.

IL Voice: (07)-7424-1667 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838