[geeks] Phrasebooks

Michael Thompson m_thompson at conversent.net
Mon Dec 31 07:26:28 CST 2007

Now you have hit on my foreign language philosophy. I just completed
my 28th trip to Germany. I can rent a car, get a hotel room, and most
important, order dinner and a beer in German. I usually end up
translating menus for my coworkers. I can follow a German
conversation, but I can't really  participate. One of the most
difficult things is figuring out how to change the rental car's
language to English. For anything else a phrase book and a dictionary
help. If I really need help I can almost always find someone who
speaks English better than I speak German.

Traveling in Japan works the same way. There is lots of English at
the airports and train stations. The restaurants usually have
displays of the food that they serve in the windows. At one point I
dragged a waiter outside and pointed to what I wanted for dinner. The
bill total is usually displayed on a calculator, so that is easy.

The most important language skill is being able to say thank you,
excuse me, hello, and good bye in your host country's language. If
you want an interesting reaction when you are visiting, try saying
that you don't speak their language in their language.

Beyond the language, knowing a little about expected behavior goes a
very long way. My foreign hosts have always been very surprised when
I didn't embarrass them.

>...it would seem food, fuel, and shelter would be quite a bit higher
>on the list.

Michael Thompson