[geeks] Phrasebooks

Geoffrey S. Mendelson gsm at mendelson.com
Mon Dec 31 00:05:18 CST 2007

On Sun, Dec 30, 2007 at 09:18:34PM -0500, Shannon Hendrix wrote:
> I've never done much but play with one briefly, but it did occur to me
> it would be hard to make use of quickly.
>
> However, I met a Japanese girl who used one pretty effectively, but
> then... she spoke no English at all, so I guess she was driven to
> learn to use it.

I expect that it has more to do with finger size and dexterity.
Just like some people have no trouble playing the piano and
some can't at all, most need to practice a lot.

I would assume that if she was not able to use it quickly, she
would be using phrase books, or books of pictures and pointing.

If she was good at learning languages, she would have learned English.

> Make sure it can display on a mobile device...

"The more I think I have gotten out, the more they pull me back in."
If you don't understand the reference, I'd prefer to explain it
in private email.

> I just find it humorous that you would need to focus so much on that.

I don't know. I was never the kind to "get lucky" on a vacation. I've
just been exposed to all of the hype that if you do, you are greatly at
risk for AIDS or Hepatitis. All children here are vaccinated for
Hepatitis A&B, I have not been, but probably should be along with a new
tetanus shot, having been in the hospital as many times in the last year
as since my birth until then.

> Unless the person is on a sex tour, it would seem food, fuel, and
> shelter would be quite a bit higher on the list.

It depends. In a large city, food, shelter, transportation is easy to
find and mostly speaks English. Here you can even go to Burger King,
Pizza Hut, McDonald's, KFC, or order a Domino's Pizza, however
Starbuck's and Dunkin Donuts tried and failed. There are also
many other restaurants and the big chains have English menus.

You could actually find them in the supermarket, and SuperPharm,
a company founded by former Canadians, which is very similar to
Rite-Aid was in the 1980's or CVS when I left the U.S.

> I guess it just struck me as funny because I immediately imagined
> myself landing near Haifa, renting a car, and my first question before
> I drive off is where I can find some condoms.

Well, you land in the airport near Tel-Aviv, and there are all sorts
of stores in the arrivals lounge.

It depends upon whom you asked. If you asked a man, if he was bare headed,
he would point you to the SuperPharm. If he had a black hat or a yarmulke
on, he would ask if you were Jewish. If you said no, he would walk away
or point you to the SuperPharm. If you said yes, he would probably try
to fix you up with his sister or cousin, as you would obviously be
in need of a wife. :-)

If it were a woman, she would either tell you where to get them,
ignore you, or ask you if you were Jewish. Depending upon the difference
in your ages, how affluent you looked, etc, she might offer to help
you find and use them. :-) Israeli women are known for being aggressive
and friendly.

> It would make a hell of a first impression on whoever I asked too... :)

Far less than you think.

> US condom commercials are either hilarious or gross.

I've never seen them. The shows I watch have their commercials
removed, as most of the TV channels here either insert their own,
or are pay channels and have no commercials.

> One of the funniest I've seen was (I believe) from Norway.  It showed
> one guy going to meet his girl, and thousands of guys dressed up like
> sperm running behind him toward the girl.  At the last moment they all
> run into a huge plastic wall just a few feet before they run her over.

I've seen it somewhere, but it was in English. Maybe on Sky News?
My 9 year old son, not understanding it except as a visual image,
loved it.

I agree with the posting that appeared by accident on a mailing
list I am on. Someone compiles a FAQ list on prostitution by country,
sort of a user's guide and thought it would be appropriate to post
it to an Israel related list I am on, which it was not. His conclusion
was not to waste your money, but to go to Eilat (a resort on the Red Sea)
and pick up a Dutch tourist. :-)

Beaches here range from topless to seperate (men or women and small
children only). Seperate beaches exist because some people believe that
even a bathing suit is immodest.

Geoff.

IL Voice: (07)-7424-1667 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838