[geeks] compact stereo systems

Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Sat Dec 29 16:31:53 CST 2007

I'm search for a decent compact stereo system to replace my old rack
system.

I like units like this one:

TEAC Reference 300 DR-H300

I guess you'd call this a mid-range mini system, and for some reason
I'm having a hard time finding them.

I can't find much of anything locally except junk.

There are a couple of the low end systems that are good enough, and if
I have to punt I'll get one of those.

However, I'd really like to find some place in the USA that sells a
good selection of units like the one above.

I find *tons* of nice mini/micro hi-fi systems in UK and EU catalogs,
but not much from vendors in the USA.

I'm hoping I just don't know where to look.

So far the only shop I've found online that carries the Teac above is www.jr.com
.

Any pointers or personal experiences appreciated.

Features I would like:

	- AM/FM tuner
	- speakers are not necessary, but OK if they are decent
	- CD that can also play mp3 files
	- alternately, DVD player that can also play mp3 files and DVD audio
	- USB port for mp3 files on a storage device (optional, but I really,
really
           like that feature
	- 50 watts should be enough for the room where this is going

The speakers I have right now are JLH loudspeakers, 200 watts, but
they seem to perform well at low volume so I'm not too worried about
getting an amp that can push them.