[geeks] Fun Topic: What do you carry?

Geoffrey S. Mendelson gsm at mendelson.com
Mon Dec 24 23:14:25 CST 2007

On Mon, Dec 24, 2007 at 11:40:19PM -0500, der Mouse wrote:

> I fear I'm fairly boring: a Swiss Army knife (a Victorinox, not a cheap
> knockoff) and a Nokia 5190 about covers it for me.  Well, perhaps
> including my work key card, which I routinely carry; I want to have a
> habit of having it on me in case I have to run in to work unexpectedly.

I used to carry a small Swiss Army knife, at one time a Wenger,
or expensive copy, e.g. Victorinox :-) Not a cheap one,
but in the last two years security guards have gotten really
paranoid and I had to check it a few times.

I get my bag checked and go through a metal detector almost
everywhere, at the mall, the bank, the hospital (where I go
for cardiac rehab), many restaurants, and so on.

I also carry a small but bright (14LED) flashlight (cheap one)
which replaced a single AAA MagLight, pen, paper, small pack
of kleenex, keys, wallet a large plastic trash bag (as a cheap
disposable poncho among other uses), and a cell phone.

The cell phone is a Motorola C330, which replaced a 7 year old
Motorola C930 which I nursed along when the battery in the c330
died, Both phones have loud audio, big letters on the screen
and C930 had big buttons, which I love.

Often I carry a PDA (Palm M515 or older) as a phone book and
calendar, and occasionaly a stick of gum sized MP3 player.

Geoff.

IL Voice: (07)-7424-1667 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838