[geeks] More on global warming

Patrick Giagnocavo patrick at zill.net
Sat Dec 22 19:51:08 CST 2007

On Dec 22, 2007, at 4:16 PM, Dr Robert Pasken wrote:

>> The models are themselves unreliable, that is the issue being
>> discussed.
>>
>> Cordially
>>
>> Patrick Giagnocavo
>>

> On what grounds do you conclude that climate models are unreliable,
> what
> studies, model output, what statistical analysis of results do you
> base
> this claim?

In order to have an accurate model, you have to understand the
process being modeled.  Do you agree with that statement?

In order to use computing resources to solve a climate model, we are
essentially having the computer solve via various methods, extremely
complex mathematical equations.

In the case of the Gulf Stream (to use only one example) there is
very little understanding of it, and it is beyond our current
knowledge base to have any sort of mathematical model of it.

No accurate mathematical model, ergo all models based on it are
inherently flawed and cannot be rectified.

Q.  To what extent does a (say) 1% increase in CO2 level, increase
the population level of diatoms in the ocean (which lock up CO2 in
their  bodies, then when they die, their remains settle on the ocean
floor, sequestering CO2)?
A.  We don't know.

Q. To what extent would a 1 degree Celsius increase in temperature
result in nothing other than a change in the Pacific and Atlantic
ocean's thermocline.
A. We don't know.

etc. etc.

ALL climate models are flawed.

I have been reading up on this for 20 years, and while computers have
gone through some 7 or more generations of CPU design representing at
least 2 orders of magnitude increase in computing power, the
computing power is

1). still not enough
2). not capable of being harnessed because we don't have the
mathematical models to run on them

This is not a matter of studies, findings, research - it is a matter
of math, specifically, "what amount of computation is needed to solve
this math problem"?

On that basis alone all climate models fail.

The second issue, "are the mathematical models we have capable of
describing reality" are secondary, but the answer that any person who
researches it comes to, is that they current climate models fail on
that basis as well.

--Patrick