[geeks] small LCD monitor needed

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Fri Dec 21 13:50:25 CST 2007

>From: Shannon Hendrix <shannon at widomaker.com>
>Date: 2007/12/21 Fri PM 12:33:05 CST
>To: The Geeks List <geeks at sunhelp.org>
>Subject: Re: [geeks] small LCD monitor needed

>On Dec 19, 2007, at 9:29 AM, Lionel Peterson wrote:
>
>>> From: Shannon Hendrix <shannon at widomaker.com>
>>> Date: 2007/12/18 Tue PM 10:05:59 CST
>>> To: The Geeks List <geeks at sunhelp.org>
>>> Subject: [geeks] small LCD monitor needed
>>
>>> I need a very small LCD monitor to use as a system console for PC
>>> servers.
>>>
>>> The smaller and cheaper, the better.
>>>
>>> Anyone know of any good sources?
>>>
>>> Most of the sites I've hit so far are selling units at $200 and up,
>>> and ideally I'd be $100 or less.
>>>
>>> Used is fine.
>>>
>>> I don't have room for most of what I find on sale anyway.  15" is
>>> pretty much the maximum size.
>>
>> Shannon,
>>
>> Small LCDs tend to have big swaths of plastic surrounding them.
>>
>> I've got an extra 15" 1024x768 analog-only LCD I'd part with, it's a
>> Planar FVT1503Z. It has a wall wart and audio in, with some minimal
>> speakers installed inside the panel. It also has a 1.5" border
>> surrounding the panel. It is on a stand and in very good condition
>> (electrical and physical), but I am not sure if it has a VESA
>> mounting plate on the back. The monitor can swivel to portrait
>> orientation, but I've never used that feature.
>
>We'll see.  I think I'm going to have to punt until after the holidays
>anyway.
>
>What I really want is a 10 inch with almost no border.
>
>The problem is after you pass 15 inches, they start climbing rapidly
>in price.
>
>I was in the store Wednesday and most of the cash registers and
>miniPCs scattered around the store had 10 inch VGA LCDs with stands,
>made by IBM.
>
>If I could find them, they are probably $400 each or something.

Those tend to have really low resolution, I imagine, and I'd personally only want a 1024x768 screen, but then I tend to manage through GUIs, not CLI...

Just to put different spin on it - what about a small laptop? I've got an older P233 laptop with a 10.4" 1024x768, actual serial port (Dell Inspiron 3000) laptop? Not sure what kind of console you need (command line or GUI), but that could be an option.

I like to keep a "straight" PC in my home rack, mainly as an admin workstation (download drivers to USB, burn DVDs, etc) while working on other machines. I'm about to upgrade mine to a Dell Optiplex GX260 (2.53 GHz CPU, 512 Meg, Gigabit Ethernet, AGP graphics and all in a SFF chassis, courtesy of Princeton University Surplus Sale)...

Lionel