[geeks] OTA tuner with ethernet?

Francois Dion francois.dion at gmail.com
Thu Dec 20 11:13:35 CST 2007

On Dec 20, 2007 11:17 AM, Joshua Boyd <jdboyd at jdboyd.net> wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 20, 2007 at 10:17:28AM -0500, Francois Dion wrote:
> > Are there any ATSC tuner out there that can record to a network share?
> > That way I can record to ZFS storage (I dont think there are any PCI
> > tuner cards that work under Solaris, is there...).
>
> There is this:
> http://bt848x.sourceforge.net/
>
> But none of those are ATSC tuners, just NTSC (and maybe PAL) tuners.

Yes, i'm aware of that, but the clock is ticking on analog broadcast...

> Are you looking for a device that has UHF/VHF in and Ethernet out?  Are
> you looking for a windows device?

Basically looking for a standalone box that I can connect to my
network and I tell it where to record my shows. Something like:
http://gigaset.siemens.com/shc/0,1935,be_fr_0_110093_rArNrNrNrN_variation%253
A-5_pageType%253ATechnical+data_imagePos%253A0,00.html

but for the USA. In the specs it says (in french): "sur disque dur en
riseau", basically that you can record to a network mount. In that
case it has to be a windows share, but nothing that cant be done with
samba sharing a zfs pool on my solaris box.

The previous version also was able to do that. And for $99 euro
according to (spanish):
http://perrodeldesierto.blogspot.com/2007/05/siemens-gigaset-m740av.html

But this is not for ATSC.

> Whether you can record to a network share is an issue of the quality of
> your network and the software doing the recording.  Unless this is a
> stand alone recorder

I do want a standalone recorder. I dont want yet another PC for the
recording. I do have a PC for playing back video from either the DVD
or my solaris zfs storage, but its not fast enough to do recording
while I'm watching a DVD upconverted to my video projector. I do have
a managed cisco switch so lan should be fine. Solaris box has dual
connection to switch.

This is almost what I would need:
http://www.silicondust.com/wiki/products/hdhomerun

But it is just that, a networked tuner. It requires linux+mythtv or
windows media center etc to do the scheduling and recording.