[geeks] End of the line for CompUSA

hike mh1272 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 13 08:05:06 CST 2007

On Dec 12, 2007 2:30 PM, Doug McLaren <dougmc at frenzied.us> wrote:

> On Sun, Dec 09, 2007 at 10:38:20AM -0500, Phil Stracchino wrote:
>
> | It's a mystery to me how anyone manages to play Halo on a game
> | console controller.
>
> Auto-aiming, and perhaps the game is dumbed down a bit.
>
> I played Halo 1 on my PC, and Halo 2 on an Xbox.  (I'm a PC game
> bigot, but I do have two Xboxes, mostly for XBMC.)
>
> The auto-aiming will aim right at an enemy if you can get your reticle
> near the enemy.  It doesn't let you do head shots, but it makes it
> work well enough.
>
> And there is something to be said for being able to lean back in your
> chair and just play, with no room for a keyboard or mouse.
>
> Yes, keyboards and mice rule for FPSs, and I don't see this changing
> until they make something that can read your eye position, but with
> `crutches' like auto-aiming, a controller can be made to work well
> enough.
>
> | Then, the Grand Theft Auto franchise is huge, and I don't know how
> | anyone manages to drive anything in that on a game console
> | controller without crashing either.
>
> Easy -- you do crash.  But it doesn't hurt anything.  And it's not
> really driving like a racing game anyways.
>
> --
> Doug McLaren, dougmc at frenzied.us                  Nothing exceeds like
> excess!

the compusa store in knoxville started discounting everything yesterday.
prices were rolled back to the normal prices and then the discount taken.
(this makes for higher prices for memory, hard drives, cd/dvd discs,
etc.--stuff usually on sale.)
here is a listing of some categories and discounts.

5% -- laptops, Apple laptops.  desktops are discounted but i didn't look to
see the discount.
10% -- networking items, cases, hard drirves (internal & external),

memory was discounted 10% but after the price roll-up, crucial was $10
cheaper (after shipping!) than compusa.  best  buy, circuit city also have
sales that are cheaper.  you have to know the

lots of cameras & camcorders left at the end of the day.  lots of items were
cleared out (empty shelves) but still a good stock at the end of the day.

store fixtures, shelves, etc. are up for sale also.

i purchased...
a usb case for a 2.5" laptop hd for $20 - $2 discount (better deals on eBay
but i my spare failed and i needed one to complete a project).
a samsonite L25 case for $15 -$3 discount (for dvd-players with 10-12
screens or asus eee pc-type device.  these originally sold for $30 at
compusa)

the discounts should deepen as the close date gets closer.