[geeks] End of the line for CompUSA

Doug McLaren dougmc at frenzied.us
Wed Dec 12 13:30:03 CST 2007

On Sun, Dec 09, 2007 at 10:38:20AM -0500, Phil Stracchino wrote:

| It's a mystery to me how anyone manages to play Halo on a game
| console controller.

Auto-aiming, and perhaps the game is dumbed down a bit.

I played Halo 1 on my PC, and Halo 2 on an Xbox.  (I'm a PC game
bigot, but I do have two Xboxes, mostly for XBMC.)

The auto-aiming will aim right at an enemy if you can get your reticle
near the enemy.  It doesn't let you do head shots, but it makes it
work well enough.

And there is something to be said for being able to lean back in your
chair and just play, with no room for a keyboard or mouse.

Yes, keyboards and mice rule for FPSs, and I don't see this changing
until they make something that can read your eye position, but with
`crutches' like auto-aiming, a controller can be made to work well
enough.

| Then, the Grand Theft Auto franchise is huge, and I don't know how
| anyone manages to drive anything in that on a game console
| controller without crashing either.

Easy -- you do crash.  But it doesn't hurt anything.  And it's not
really driving like a racing game anyways.

--
Doug McLaren, dougmc at frenzied.us                  Nothing exceeds like excess!