[geeks] Conan the Barbarian hates hippies?

Nadine Miller velociraptor at gmail.com
Tue Dec 11 15:27:29 CST 2007

Patrick Giagnocavo wrote:
> Slap me if this is too far OT, but I recently came across a book I
> read some time ago, "Conan the Barbarian" (ISBN 0-553-22544-8) - and
> it just struck me that the followers of Thulsa Doom are hippies -
> they wear flowers in their hair, subscribe to far-out religions, etc.
> etc.
>
> Anyone else get that from the book?
>
> My take is that it is a response to the hippies of the 60s and 70s
> (the movie and this book came out in about 1981).

Doubtful.  The original Robert E. Howard stories were written in the
'30's.  See: www.conan.com

That's not to say that the screenplay didn't decide totally fsck with
things--see: _Starship Troopers_ as an example of how good books have
been butchered.  IMO, as an RAH fan, mind you.

=Nadine=
=Nadine=