[geeks] Conan the Barbarian hates hippies?

Patrick Giagnocavo patrick at zill.net
Tue Dec 11 15:01:04 CST 2007

Slap me if this is too far OT, but I recently came across a book I
read some time ago, "Conan the Barbarian" (ISBN 0-553-22544-8) - and
it just struck me that the followers of Thulsa Doom are hippies -
they wear flowers in their hair, subscribe to far-out religions, etc.
etc.

Anyone else get that from the book?

My take is that it is a response to the hippies of the 60s and 70s
(the movie and this book came out in about 1981).

(By the way, the screenplay was written by John Milius who also did
"Red Dawn".)

--Patrick