[geeks] Opinions on T-Mobile and Verizon

Bill Bradford mrbill at mrbill.net
Mon Dec 10 16:10:07 CST 2007

On Mon, Dec 10, 2007 at 01:38:26PM -0800, Nadine Miller wrote:
> I suspect OnStar is normal "cell" (CDMA/TDMA/GSM) + Satellite cell
> phone.  Given the $$ and their advertising that it works everywhere, I
> can't imagine it's otherwise.

It *doesnt* work everywhere - depending on your vehicle.  Older OnStar
vehicles will stop working sometime this year or next because they use
an analog cell phone system for data transport.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OnStar

"In April, 2006, GM notified approximately 500,000 of their OnStar
customers who have analog service that their service would be terminated
effective December 31, 2007, because starting February 18, 2008 the FCC
will no longer require US cell phone systems to operate in analog mode. If
the vehicle is from the 2003, 2004, or 2005 model year, an adapter costing
approximately $200 (includes a One year subscription)can be installed at
the customer's expense. If it is older, it will simply no longer be
usable."

Bill

--
Bill Bradford