[geeks] End of the line for CompUSA

Phil Stracchino alaric at metrocast.net
Sun Dec 9 09:38:20 CST 2007

Micah R Ledbetter wrote:
> On Dec 8, 2007, at 22:20, Shannon Hendrix wrote:
>> I *HATE* console games, and the infection of console mentality into
>> computer games, and it will hurt to lose one of the few stores that
>> kept a decent PC games section.
>
> I think consoles are great for some games. Games where you need four
> directions and some other "kill stuff" buttons. Mostly 2D games -
> platformers, fighting games, space-invaders games, etc. They work for
> some 3D games, too (but not usually as well as a mouse+keyboard+desk).

That.  If there's one single overriding thing that keeps me from ever
wanting a console as my primary gaming platform, it's that I'd have to
use effing game-console controllers.

> What I don't understand is fucking Halo. Why the hell would you want
> to play a first person 3D game with anything other than a mouse or
> joystick? Ugh. I wonder how that kind of FPS-only-slower could have
> saved something like the original Xbox, which had nothing else going
> for it.

It's a mystery to me how anyone manages to play Halo on a game console
controller.  Then, the Grand Theft Auto franchise is huge, and I don't
know how anyone manages to drive anything in that on a game console
controller without crashing either.

--
  Phil Stracchino, CDK#2         ICBM: 43.5607, -71.355
  alaric at caerllewys.net            alaric at metrocast.net
          It's not the years, it's the mileage.