[geeks] Cell phones: block incoming calls

Dan Sikorski me at dansikorski.com
Wed Dec 5 20:58:56 CST 2007

Francois Dion wrote:
> On Dec 4, 2007 3:53 AM, Joost van de Griek <jvdg at sparcpark.net> wrote:
>
>>> If you've got these kinds of problems, a smart phone may be the best
>>> answer...
>>>
>> Smart phones are undeserving of their moniker, is my experience. I love my
>> Sony Ericsson P990i, because it allows me to have my phone and my PDA with me
>> at all times but still only having to carry a single device. But the
>> integration between the computer part and the phone part is sorely lacking.
>>
>> SMS (text) messages are messages like anything else, aren't they? So why can't
>> I simply transfer them from the phone to the computer for archiving?
>>

> Works on WM6 pro device, at least.

If it's like my WM5 device, not much else works.
>> Even the most basic Email client these days has automatic mail processing
>> facilities built in. My phone is a more powerful computer than what I had on
>> my desk some ten years ago. Why doesn't it allow me to put contacts into
>> groups, then apply rules to incoming calls like, "route incoming calls from
>> contacts in the business category after 17:00 on workdays and at all times
>> during the weekend to voice mail"? This should be astonishingly simple to
>> implement, right?
>>

> Not astonishingly simple, but doable. I do something similar on my
> samsung i760 and some third party software.

If it's like WM5, nothing is astonishingly simple.  I HATE my treo
700w.  Out of all of the cell phones that I have had, it's the only one
that I feel the desire to throw due to the device itself.  (The other
ones i wanted to throw were because of the service.)  If it's checking
mail, everything else on the phone grinds to a halt, can't make a call,
have a hard time recieving a call, etc.  It is configured to check my
email every 30 or 60 minutes (depending on the account), but does it
about every 2 instead.  It constantly complains when i make a call that
it cannot connect to get mail.  The phone hardware in it sucks and loses
signal in areas that other verizon phones have no problem, and the
battery only lasts about a half of a day (in part due to syncing my mail
every 2 minutes).  Coworkers of mine that have the same phone and others
with WM5 have similar prolbems, and i've had my phone replaced, so it's
not just mine.  I can't wait to switch back to a blackberry.

    -Dan "Since you didn't ask, I'll tell you how I really feel" Sikorski