[geeks] Global Warming causes...

Phil Stracchino alaric at metrocast.net
Sun Dec 2 10:38:12 CST 2007

der Mouse wrote:
>> Still can't fathom how a radiation particle can create a solid
>> particle of any appreciable size.
>
> I have seen it said that the highest-energy cosmic rays carry
> macroscopic quantities of kinetic energy.  I don't know how true this
> actually is - I've seen it in just one offhand reference, which
> compared the impact of such a particle on our planet to that of a
> thrown baseball - but, if that's not just bad reporting, it could
> certainly explain it.
>
> And, in any case, the trail of ions left as even the lighter ones plow
> through the atmosphere is a dandy trail of nuclei for particulate
> condensation - much the same effect that cloud chambers work on.

Now see, I can see cosmic-ray particle tracks forming cloud and COOLING
the planet by raising the albedo.  But warming it, I don't think I get.
 Unless they're trying to argue that cosmic rays preferentially strike
the planet at night.

--
 Phil Stracchino, CDK#2         ICBM: 43.5607, -71.355
 alaric at caerllewys.net            alaric at metrocast.net
         It's not the years, it's the mileage.