[geeks] Global Warming causes...

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Sat Dec 1 23:52:35 CST 2007

>From: Dr Robert Pasken <rpasken at eas.slu.edu>
>Date: 2007/12/01 Sat PM 05:17:35 CST
>To: The Geeks List <geeks at sunhelp.org>
>Subject: Re: [geeks] Global Warming causes...

>The only reference to global cooling came from misquotes of study done in
>the mid 70's by Newsweek in the mid 70's The original study said
>
>"One approach to forecasting the natural long-term climate trend is to
>estimate the time constants of response necessary to explain the observed
>phase relationships between orbital variation and climatic change, and
>then to use those time constants in the exponential-response model. When
>such a model is applied to Vernekar's (39) astronomical projections, the
>results indicate that the long-term trend over the next 20,000 years is
>towards extensive Northern Hemisphere glaciation and cooler climate (80)."
>
>Newsweek dropped the phrase "that the long-term trend over the next
>20,000 years is towards". Thirty years later, George Will willfully
>repeats the historically inaccurate claim that in the 70's the fashionable
>panic was about global cooling. Climate scientists specifically stated in
>1975 National Academy of Sciences report that "we do not have a good
>quantitative understanding of our climate machine and what determines its
>course. Without the fundamental understanding, it does not seem possible
>to predict climate". As a direct result of the 1975 NAS report
>there was additional funding into climate science. From the recent work a
>great deal more about the climate system is known now that 42 years ago.

That's 32 years ago.

And Global Cooling was not the trivial phenomenon you mention, discussed in
only a single publication (Newsweek) - it was pretty prevalent for a while in
the mainstream press as I recall.

But hey, no worries, Global Warming causes Global Cooling![0]

And merely talking/writing about global warming makes the world a more
peaceful place[1].

I'm not sure which George Will piece you are referring to, but one in 2006
mentioned several publications, not just Newsweek. [2]
Lionel

[0] http://www.dinosauria.com/jdp/news/freeze.html

[1] Al Gore and the IPCC report writers got the Nobel Peace Prize this past
year - not the Nobel Prize in Physics or Chemistry, those are given to
scientists who make discoveries...

[2] http://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2006/04/cooler_heads_needed_on_warmi
ng.html

Interesting quote from above George Will article:

While worrying about Montana's receding glaciers, Schweitzer, who is 50,
should also worry about the fact that when he was 20 he was told to be
worried, very worried, about global cooling. Science magazine (Dec. 10, 1976)
warned of "extensive Northern Hemisphere glaciation." Science Digest (February
1973) reported that "the world's climatologists are agreed" that we must
"prepare for the next ice age." The Christian Science Monitor ("Warning:
Earth's Climate is Changing Faster Than Even Experts Expect," Aug. 27, 1974)
reported that glaciers "have begun to advance," "growing seasons in England
and Scandinavia are getting shorter" and "the North Atlantic is cooling down
about as fast as an ocean can cool." Newsweek agreed ("The Cooling World,"
April 28, 1975) that meteorologists "are almost unanimous" that catastrophic
famines might result from the global cooling that the New York Times (Sept.
14, 1975) said "may mark the return to another ice age." The Times (May 21,
1975) also said "a major cooling of the climate is widely considered
inevitable" now that it is "well established" that the Northern Hemisphere's
climate "has been getting cooler since about 1950."