[geeks] Goodbye, I guess

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Thu Aug 30 15:39:59 CDT 2007

On Wed, 29 Aug 2007 22:05:46 -0700
"N. Miller" <velociraptor at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Aug 29, 2007, at 6:37 AM, Dan Sikorski wrote:
>
> > Bill Bradford wrote:
> >> The more I work with computers, the more something like that sounds
> >> like a SOOTHING VACATION.
> >>
> > This is why some local geeks that i know take their vacation hiking in
> > the mountains, or canoing.  I think that going the Walden route
> > would be
> > better than going the Amish route.  I'll take the simplicity
> > without the
> > religion, personally.
>
> Aside from the fine cooking you'll get in an Amish household, I'd
> have to agree--camp food is ok for a bit, but nothing is quite as
> tasty as my grandma's recipe for caramel dumplings.

For one horrifying moment, I read that as "camel dumplings".

> My father left his family at that age and went out on his own (he
> wanted to attend school).  He ended up joining the Army and is an old
> school electronics geek.  I haven't been able to convince him to
> learn *NIX, though he still has functional C= computers.  He never
> would pony up for the Amiga, oddly enough.  I still don't think he
> understands just how much I know about computers, because I dismiss
> his interest in Windows. ;-)  I only do it because it irks him.

Interesting.

For some reason, most of the old-school electronics/HAM geeks I know are
Windows people, and nothing will make them change.

Never have quite figured that out.

--
shannon / Asus A8N5X - Opteron 170 at 2.5GHz | But you know, a little Sun Ultra 1
-------'  2GB RAM - nVidia 7900GS         | is doing all the hard work...