[geeks] Goodbye, I guess

Patrick Giagnocavo patrick at zill.net
Thu Aug 30 09:22:55 CDT 2007

On Aug 30, 2007, at 9:53 AM, Phil Stracchino wrote:

> Yeah, I have the impression many of the Indo-Asian-origin faiths
> encourage believers to think about these things (and to think in
> general), whereas Western-origin ones mostly seem to want their
> adherents to just sit down, shut up, and believe as they're told.

That seems a bit of an extreme viewpoint, given that the reason for
the 100% literacy rate in colonial America was so that each person
could read the Bible themselves - if you want to control people, you
don't encourage them to read and dissect the text.

Going further back, though I am not sure whether it is fair to
classify Judaism as "Western", certainly the copies of the Talmud you
see with 3 verses in the middle and the rest of the page surrounding
the text filled by commentary from Maimonides et al, would serve as a
second example.

Cordially

Patrick Giagnocavo
patrick at zill.net