[geeks] Discuss this quote...

Geoffrey S. Mendelson gsm at mendelson.com
Mon Aug 27 22:42:06 CDT 2007

On Mon, Aug 27, 2007 at 04:27:44PM -0500, Jonathan C. Patschke wrote:

> Is medical insurance that big of a deal?  Outside of my brief stint at
> state employment, I've never had my employer provide it.  In fact, I
> haven't even had insurance for the last two years or so.  I just eat
> well[0] and take care of myself.  I only get sick enough to miss work
> every four years or so.

<too much information warning>

Sure, one day you will need it. Then it will be imposible to buy it
and you will be faced with a choice of selling EVERYTHING you own
to pay your medical bills or living (as long as you can) with
whatever condition you have.

A friend of mine was perfectly healthy, not overweight, well fed, etc.
One morning he woke up and noticed he had an odd smell and did not
feel well after he ate. He had become insulin dependent diabetic.
Not only would it have cost him a lot of money if he did not have
insurance, he has large expenses (needles, insulin, glucometer strips)
and by now has a pump which costs $5k-$10k. He also needs a lot
of expensive lab tests, etc.

Look at the cancer and heart disease rates in people in their twenties
and thirtys. Cancer at that age is bad because the tumors are fast growing,
so you need lots of expensive treatment to survive.

Another interesting satistic would be to ask your local HMO's what percentages
of their money they spend on what diseases. Type II diabetis and it's effects
which is often caused by overweight, lack of exercise  and bad diet
consumes more than half for many of them.

<end TMI>

This does not count the usual expenses of having children and raising
them.

Geoff.

IL Voice: (07)-7424-1667 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838