[geeks] Discuss this quote...

Jay Monkman jtm-geeks at smoothsmoothie.com
Mon Aug 27 17:01:40 CDT 2007

On Mon, Aug 27, 2007 at 04:27:44PM -0500, Jonathan C. Patschke wrote:
> Is medical insurance that big of a deal?  Outside of my brief stint at
> state employment, I've never had my employer provide it.  In fact, I

When I've been employed by others, it looked like the cost for the
companies was $300-$400 per month for an employee and up to twice that
for the whole family. It seems like a pretty small percentage of a
professional's compensation, especially since none of the employers
I've seen pay 100%.

For comparison, I got a policy on my own for < $150/month. That's just
me, a mid-30's non-smoker, and a $3k deductible. It does get more
expensive the older you get. I think a similar policy for a 60 year
old $300-$500/month.