[geeks] Discuss this quote...

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Mon Aug 27 21:56:26 CDT 2007

On Mon, 27 Aug 2007 15:44:12 -0400
Phil Stracchino <phil.stracchino at speakeasy.net> wrote:

> Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:
> > On Mon, 27 Aug 2007 12:18:44 -0500
> > Bill Bradford <mrbill at mrbill.net> wrote:

> >> Lack of time.  Lack of space.  Lack of money. 8-)
> >>
> >> I'm talking "six months apprenticeship working under someone" type stuff.
> >
> > Some areas of the country have maintained this kind of tradition better
> > than others.
> >
> > I'm with Bill: if I ever become rich, I'm the hell out of the rat race.
> >
> > Then I'll finally be able to do something I think is worth doing.
>

> If I ever became rich enough, I'd like to retire and then start
> sponsoring basic research into important areas that aren't getting
> enough attention now, either because there's no immediately evident
> profit to be made from them, or because they'd threaten some established
> industry's captive cash cow.

That's basically my idea too.

I was thinking one thing I would do is build a computer/networking/storage
facility and take on "dead" projects where scientists and other workers
were doing something good, and got hit by the budget axe.

Also support inventors, projects that need doing but are languishing.

Free computation and storage for disasters might be a nice side-feature.

I'm not against help business and making money, but the primary thing is to
not allow that to be the primary goal.

The main goal is really pretty simple: find something that needs to be done
and see if there is a way to do it.

Of course, I only mention computer services because that is what I know.  I
would also like to do other things, particularly support of historical
preservation, research, etc.  I live in eastern Virginia and the local
governments are busy as hell burying our history on a daily basis.  I would
like to stop that as much as possible.

I would also do some things I just have no time for now of course.

For example, at some point in life I also want to learn to fight with a sword,
and make one of my own.

Oh, and I want to build a BBQ cooker.

That last one, naturally, is the most important goal of them all... :)

--
shannon                      | javalin: