[geeks] Discuss this quote...

N. Miller velociraptor at gmail.com
Mon Aug 27 20:10:22 CDT 2007

On Aug 27, 2007, at 12:32 PM, Bill Bradford wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 27, 2007 at 03:23:26PM -0400, Charles Shannon Hendrix
> wrote:
>> Some areas of the country have maintained this kind of tradition
>> better than
>> others.
>> I'm with Bill: if I ever become rich, I'm the hell out of the rat
>> race.
>
> Something like living in an Amish community for a while, or something
> similar, would be good for the soul I think.

Having Amish family (on my dad's side), I can tell you it's not all
you think it is.  The self-contradictory way in which they handle
tech is a philosophical Gordian Knot, IMO.

My biggest problem with Amish families is one of the big ones I have
with non-Amish families.  Most of them ignore their kids, until it's
time to drag them to some important "event".  Even as a 9 year old I
could get no amusement out of seeing the 4 year olds swinging the
barn kittens around by their tails. :-(

=Nadine=