[geeks] Discuss this quote...

Sandwich Maker adh at an.bradford.ma.us
Mon Aug 27 16:17:13 CDT 2007

" From: Lionel Peterson <lionel4287 at verizon.net>
"
" >From: Sandwich Maker <adh at an.bradford.ma.us>
" >
" >i could go on my own rant about history being written by english
" >majors and why don't we have technology history courses?  the
" >invention of the windmill has probably had more effect on europe than
" >most anything short of the plague.
"
" How much of the current mortgage industry shake-out could have been avoided if
" schools taught simple math concepts around real-world examples (mortgage,
" credit cards, inflation, etc.)?

but i bet a lot of short-sighted sharks made big money during the boom
- and when the collapse came, -their-companies- took the hit, not
-them-.  so what were they risking?

" And don't get me started on the folks that wnat to throw the estimated 25% of
" uninsured children in households making up to 200% of the federal poverty
" level (poverty level is about $20K, so less than $40K/year)! They insist that
" they need to expand eligibility to include children in households making
" upwards of $80K/year, but have no plans to expand membership by the poorest of
" the poor. On the surface, the political parties aligned on either side of this
" debate are suprising, but after a moment's reflection it makes perfect sense
" (expand handouts to likely voters, not actually take care of the poor and
" needy)...

...which gets right back to machiavelli and political psych.