[geeks] Discuss this quote...

Geoffrey S. Mendelson gsm at mendelson.com
Mon Aug 27 15:45:52 CDT 2007

On Mon, Aug 27, 2007 at 04:20:35PM -0400, Phil Stracchino wrote:

> But first you need a Really Good Idea(tm).

I have two comments on that.

One is creative people have often many of them. Most never get beyond
the "good idea" stage.

Two is that sometimes all you need is a lousy idea, no clue on how to
do it, and a university to sponsor you.

The people who have followed my postings here and discussed them offline,
where I am a lot more candid, know exactly what I am talking about in
both cases. :-)

<no, I'm not bitter>

Sometimes it takes a lot more than a good idea and good technology,
for example our handheld device, which we as a company were able
to produce, but totally "blew it".

An employee of the previously mentioned large Korean company who had
already accepted a job with another company (but had not yet given
notice), took all of the documents we had left with them to his new
company.

Even using pages from our business plan to build their web site,
and one of their distributors using text I wrote on his web site,
they were unable to reproduce our work and their much scaled down
device has sold in about two years less than we would have sold
every 8 hours.

(Yes, it's a hard lesson, but I've learned it.)

</no, I'm not bitter>

Geoff.

IL Voice: (07)-7424-1667 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838