[geeks] Newspaper Web Sites

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Fri Aug 17 09:47:33 CDT 2007

On Fri, 17 Aug 2007 00:28:32 -0400 (EDT)
der Mouse <mouse at Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA> wrote:

> >> This is a bug?  Seems to me that's how it should work.  You have
> >> whitespace between <SOMETAG> and blah, you get a space there.  You
> >> have whitespace between </SOMETAG> and <NEWTAG>, you get a space
> >> *there*.
> > Yes, it is a bug when it occurs between content tags.
> > The W3C says so, and only one browser does this: IE.
>
> I'm not sure what a "content tag" is, but it would be an even worse bug

This would be inside a content tag, by which I mean something that includes
text.

Even then, multiple spaces are usually eaten, just like nroff.

What I'm talking about is things like when you define things like a CSS
region.  That's not supposed to output *ANYTHING*, but IE does.

In other words, when you are defining blocks that are just part of structure
or CSS and they aren't supposed to output anything at all, IE sometimes does,
and it can totally ruin a page, even a simple one.

That's just one of many things IE does wrong.

--
shannon