[geeks] Newspaper Web Sites

Phil Stracchino phil.stracchino at speakeasy.net
Thu Aug 16 18:26:31 CDT 2007

Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:
> Unfortunately, one of the reasons newspaper sites do all of this stuff is not
> their fault: CSS is broken.

A lot of this really comes down to "Even with CSS, HTML is a markup
language, not a page description language."

> This is without even considering the crap you have to do so that Microsoft
> Internet Explorer will work.  It's the most broken WWW browser out there.

I refuse to jump through hoops to support it.  I find it darkly amusing
that, with the advent of www.windizupdate.com that lets me use Firefox
to update Windows, the *ONLY* thing I need IE for is Comcrap's online
bill pay ... because their crappy site is so badly written it ONLY works
in IE, and each time I've found a workaround that's enabled me to log in
*without* using IE, they've removed or disabled it shortly afterwards.

Unfortunately, for now, I'm stuck with comcrap for TV service, or I'd
just tell'em where they could shove it.

--
        Phil Stracchino                CDK#2
 phil.stracchino at speakeasy.net   alaric at caerllewys.net
 Landline: 603-429-0220           Mobile: 603-320-5438
        It's not the years, it's the mileage.