[geeks] Newspaper Web Sites

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Thu Aug 16 18:13:52 CDT 2007

On Thu, 16 Aug 2007 14:54:58 -0500 (CDT)
"Jonathan C. Patschke" <jp at celestrion.net> wrote:

> On Thu, 16 Aug 2007, Sridhar Ayengar wrote:
>
> > I *hate* *HATE* newspaper websites that are set up with a hard column
> > width on the screen.
>
> s/newspaper//
>
> If folks can't figure out how to make a layout that scales horizontally,
> they need to put down the HTML/CSS editor and find a position better
> suited for their aptitude--like digging ditches.

On the other hand:

I hate sites that scale without regard for readability.

For example, text columns should *NOT* be allowed to go wider or more narrow
than what is readable.

Unfortunately, one of the reasons newspaper sites do all of this stuff is not
their fault: CSS is broken.

There are times when there really is no other way, depending on what you are
doing or have been asked to do.

I keep thinking "one day, it will all work", but it's been ten years since
the first CSS code came out, and it is still broken.

I get around this by just keeping things very simple, but even then you run
into stupidity.

This is without even considering the crap you have to do so that Microsoft
Internet Explorer will work.  It's the most broken WWW browser out there.

--
shannon / Asus A8N5X - Opteron 170 at 2.5GHz | But you know, a little Sun Ultra 1
-------'  2GB RAM - nVidia 7900GS         | is doing all the hard work...