[geeks] Newspaper Web Sites

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Thu Aug 16 16:30:57 CDT 2007

>From: Sridhar Ayengar <ploopster at gmail.com>
>Date: 2007/08/16 Thu AM 09:49:27 CDT
>To: The Geeks List <geeks at sunhelp.org>
>Subject: [geeks] Newspaper Web Sites

>I *hate* *HATE* newspaper websites that are set up with a hard column
>width on the screen.  I increase the size of the font in Seamonkey with
>CTRL-+ and the text gets bigger, but fewer words in the column.
>
>Who the hell thought *that* was a good idea?
>
>Gaaah!!

The layout group at the  newspaper has 30" Apple displays, and it works just fine for them...

Also, they think people *like* the fixed columns, to maintain that "newspaper" feel. Personally, I prefer a news.google.com/drudgereport.com sytle layout, with headers and links to stories - no real text on the main page (drudge doesn't even *have* the text, just links...

Lionel