[geeks] ebay

kevin at pipeline.com kevin at pipeline.com
Thu Aug 16 13:02:39 CDT 2007

Listing fees are significantly lower in the store vs auctions (average $0.06
vs $1.60 or so), although Final Value fees are higher with store sales.

General practice is to list most of your stuff in the store and then run a few
auctions to get people to the store.  Generally, an eBay keyword search (how
70+% of eBay users shop) will not return results from items listed in an eBay
store, only the words in a running auctions main title.  The closer i get to
the actual move, the more auctions i will run, but a lot of stuff will simply
be tossed or given away as it is more work to pack/ship/handle a $10 or less
items than it is worth.  If you're selling the same $10 item over and over
again, you can make things vastly more efficient and worth wile, but if you do
as i am now, and just selling anything you happen to pick up in the house,
each item has to be handled differently and it becomes more trouble than it's
worth.  I did a lot of that type of stuff originally to get my feedback rating
up and to help learn the ropes.  At this point, i'm tired of packing boxes for
a profit of $6.  I actually got pissed last night when someone bought a video
card from my store.  I was packing up boxes and thought i had just finished
with the last one when all of the sudden this "Item Awaiting Shipping" showed
up in my list, just as i was about to turn off may laptop :)

There are actually several items listed in my store where the prices are, in
my opinion, higher than they are worth, but people actually do pay it oddly
enough.