[geeks] Connecting two computers with serial cables - do you have to have two cables?

Sandwich Maker adh at an.bradford.ma.us
Mon Aug 13 19:29:20 CDT 2007

" From: "Geoffrey S. Mendelson" <gsm at mendelson.com>
"
" On Mon, Aug 13, 2007 at 02:00:24PM +0200, Jonathan Groll wrote:
" > I would like to connect two computers together by serial cable, since
" > []
" > in "/dev/ttyS0 is locked". Is it really necessary to have two cables to
" > connect two machines in this manner?
"
" Run uugetty and use a compatible terminal program.

the archetypal 'cu' comes to mind.  iirc it's in the uucp pkg.

i used to do this stuff in my sleep 20-odd years ago.