[geeks] two questions

Mike Meredith very at zonky.org
Fri Aug 10 14:31:54 CDT 2007

On Fri, 10 Aug 2007 15:04:41 -0400 (EDT), Sandwich Maker wrote:
> 1. i have mail coming through with non-ascii isolatin1 chars
> translated to trigraphs, eg. =E1.  as i'm trying to learn spanish
> this is passing beyond annoyance and becoming a real handicap.
> what's my best and/or easiest way of restoring the 8-bit chars?  my
> sendmail setup runs procmail to deliver incoming, so adding a filter
> isn't hard.

That looks like quoted-printable (in fact I can't think of anything
else it could be). At worst you could simply write a filter to take the
two characters after the '=' and treat it as a hex number to give you
the associated character.

But it would be preferable to isolate what exactly is not
adding/removing the MIME headers that go with it

Incidentally if you google for 'procmail quoted-printable' you should
find some helpful recipes ... although you may have to improve on them.

> 2. i recently acquired a 333MHz tray-loading imac, whose kbd this am
> decided to go wonky in the high humidity.  it's better now, but does
> anyone know positively one way or the other if this kbd can or can not
> be run safely though a dishwasher?  methinks it needs a good
> scrubbing.

I've always preferred to rip the keyboard apart and clean it manually,
but that's possibly because I've never had a machine dishwasher :)

--
Mike Meredith (http://zonky.org/)
  "Spammers on the Internet are like hula hoops, pet rocks, or subway