[geeks] Roland CM-500

Francois Dion francois.dion at gmail.com
Thu Aug 9 09:09:22 CDT 2007

On 8/1/07, Sridhar Ayengar <ploopster at gmail.com> wrote:
> Anyone know where I can get a Roland CM-500?

No. The MT-32 / CM-32 / CM-64 are much easier to find. But, several
games required a real MPU-IPC card with external module to work with
the MT-32. The LAPC-1 card is the MPU-IPC + MT-32 on a card. Combine
that with a sound blaster and you

>  Also, does anyone know if
> there was ever a fully MT-32 compatible card for the Wave Blaster interface?

As far as I know, no. The MT-32 compatibility is pretty much non
existant outside of the Roland realm, and only on early modules. GM
pretty much killed that.

However, megaem was a TSR that added MT-32 (and sound-blaster and
sound canvas) compatibility to the Gravis Ultrasound. This sounds
actually pretty good, and is what I used for most games. Ideally, a
Gravis Ultrasound Ace + Roland LAPC-1 + SB16 would get you the most
compatible setup without emulator. But, these are all ISA cards and
that brings its own challenge there.

There is also a GUS emulator for win9x/NT/2K:
http://listen.to/gusemu

In theory, you could run megaem on top of that in the Windows dos box.
Would be nice to integrate that to dosbox and run that on a modern PC
running solaris (and avoid the ISA issue):
http://dosbox.sourceforge.net/news.php?show_news=1

Currently, the midi support is missing with the Gus emulation in dosbox.
http://dosbox.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php?page=EmulatedSoundHardware

Francois