[geeks] SL = game? (Was: Ubuntu partition on Bootcamp Mac?)

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Tue Aug 7 23:39:22 CDT 2007

>From: Jon Gilbert <jjj at io.com>
>Date: 2007/08/07 Tue AM 02:18:51 CDT
>To: The Geeks List <geeks at sunhelp.org>
>Subject: Re: [geeks] SL = game? (Was: Ubuntu partition on Bootcamp Mac?)

>On Jul 31, 2007, at 2:22 PM, Bill Bradford wrote:

>> The only reason they (and numerous other companies) have a presence
>> in SL is
>> because some market droid saw an article about it in Wired, and
>> said "HAY
>> GUYS WE NEED A SECOND LIFE PRESENCE!><#<>!#>!! WEB TWO DOT OH NEW
>> MEDIA
>> AVATAR VIRTUAL REALITY BUZZWORD"
>
>And I'm the one with a complex? I love how you guys actively deny any
>evidence against your point via a straw man argument (it's the over-
>caffeinated "marketing droids'" fault). There are a lot of good
>reasons why Toyota would make a virtual reality site; people can see
>what the cars actually look like, in 3D, as opposed to static 2D web
>shots or cheesy rotating VR flashes.

WTF?

Glimmering pixels on my flat panel display are no equal for the car in the dealers lot - that is an *actual* 3D object, not a *rendition* of a 3D object, like you get in SL, the web, or even TV/print media.

> But no, it must just be a gimmick right? <sigh> I mean who cares about actual reason, or logic?

Definition of gimmick (from dictionary.com):

"an ingenious or novel device, scheme, or stratagem, esp. one designed to attract attention or increase appeal. "

I argue that Second Life is a Gimmick, and my actual reason is that it is a novel device (it is unique, right?), and it is designed to attract attention (why else the pretty graphics, OpenGL and all?),and if Toyota is marketing cars there, could it not be argued that that either "attracts attention" or increases appeal of their products?

Now, since Gimmick and Game both start with "G", I declare them equal - there, I proved it (at least to my satisfaction, it doesn't matter about your agreement/satisfaction, since others have already questioned your very existance ;^)

Lionel
(damn, I just extend this thread, even as I call for it's end...)