[geeks] SL = game? (Was: Ubuntu partition on Bootcamp Mac?)

Bill Bradford mrbill at mrbill.net
Tue Aug 7 06:15:58 CDT 2007

On Tue, Aug 07, 2007 at 12:18:51AM -0700, Jon Gilbert wrote:
> Well, the only thing I was getting at in my previous posts was that
> nobody has clearly stated exactly what it is that makes SL a "game,"
> using the definition of what a game is that is found in the
> dictionary. I think that you all think it's a game just because it's
> in 3D.

3D vs. not-3D has nothing to do with it at this point.

> Saying there is no difference between SL, and something like WoW, is
> like saying there's no difference between a hammer and nails, and
> house. SL is something which can allow a game to be built within it,

So it's a game engine!

> but fundamentally, it's just a platform -- not a finished product
> with specific properties .

My final statement on the subject: everyone is entitled to their
own opinion.

I'm entitled to think that SL is a game, and you're entitled
to think that it's not.  It just happens that most of the people
in this discussion so far seem to disagree with you.  That's okay!
You don't have to keep raging against the machine!  Why not agree to
disagree?

Bill

--
Bill Bradford