[geeks] SL = game? (Was: Ubuntu partition on Bootcamp Mac?)

Gary Goddard gaz.god at gmail.com
Tue Aug 7 06:08:01 CDT 2007

Jon Gilbert wrote:
> On Jul 31, 2007, at 2:22 PM, Bill Bradford wrote:
>

>> Also, ham radio is far from a fad.  I like knowing that I have the
>> ability
>> to communicate with people across town, or across the planet, without
>> depending on anyone else's infrastructure.
>>

> Oh yes, I agree with you. But HAM radio has never become a
> "mainstream" medium -- that was the only real point I was trying to
> make.

The reason Ham Radio never became "mainstream" medium is that to get a
ham licence an individual has to take an exam of some form to prove
technical compitency to minimise any interfearence they do to other
users of the radio spectrum. Alougth these requirements have been
reduced in recent years, (well here in the uk anyway, I can now go on HF
without knowing morse). So i'm afraid your radio analagy is flawed.

/me wonders about what a geek utopia it would be if the same rules
applied to the internet and computers 8-)

And to miss quote Bill Hicks "Its just a game" <<< my 2 cents