[geeks] Games...

Mark md.benson at gmail.com
Tue Aug 7 06:09:30 CDT 2007

On 7 Aug 2007, at 11:15, Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:

> Hence the difference between Flight Simulator '98 and Combat Flight
> Simulator.
> FS98 could teach you to fly, but there was nothing to do, except fly.

That's not necessarily a bad thing though. People enjoy that kind of
thing. I know I do - especially flying large or fast aircraft, or
even just flying over the scenery near my home and spotting
landmarks. :)

> At this point FS 10 is real enough to learn to fly a real airplane,
> complete with videos, AI based training etc. If it is a game or
> a tool is up to you to decide. The distinction blurs, but the
> bottom line is that when you crash and burn with FS 10 instead
> of a real airplane, you walk away from it unhurt.

But... you don't bounce off the ground (well actually you can turn
the ground collisions off but,,,). Hitting the ground still imparts
an end to your flight.

>> Second Life does not have a general sense of realism. The fact that
>> 'anything is possible', despite being really cool and all is
>> generally what ruins it for me, and a lot of other people. Then again
>> it makes it what it is to those who enjoy it.
>
> I think that's an important point, it allows you to go beyond your
> real life limitations, however does that affect whether it's a
> game or a similation?

It is not a simulation, as it is not simulation something real, I
think that was my point (I was only on my first cup of coffee an at
the time so even I'm not totally sure ;)).

> I tend to agree with you, but I'm not sure that is correct. Our
> reality
> is based upon our perception of things, a universe with less "realism"
> may be a different race's perception of reality and therefore a
> simulation not a game.

Of, course one persons perception of reality is different, but there
are boundaries all the same. Reality, as a function of the world in
which we exist is really a set of brackets, not a defined set of
rules. While I appreciate that a reality that is different to what I
experience is tangibly different, a reality that is outside of what
everyone experiences, which I believe Second Life is, so different as
to be 'unreal'.

>> Refer to Agent Smith's speech in The Matrix (if you haven't seen it
>> skip the paragraph, this is a spoiler! ). Smith, while interrogating
>> Morpheus talks bout the first iteration of The Matrix. He states that
>> it was a 'perfect human world'. He also states that it was a total
>> failure.
>
> Knowing you are in a virtual reality, does affect humans, but will it
> affect people who are programed not to notice it.

According to conventional wisdom, invariably not, because, unless
they are influenced by what occurs outside their so-called reality,
they have no concept that what they are experiencing is not real.
Reference again the Matrix and people from the Real World, hacking
the Matrix to show people trapped in it the truth, of which they were
totally unaware until that point in time. However the same point in
the film raises the same issue that Neo knew something 'wasn't right'
right from the start, and other too had the same experience. It was
those that knew this that were able to contact the Real World and get
free. The theory goes in The Matrix that a few people would not
accept the program because of a function of mathematical probability.
That probability suggested, possibly in relation to Heisenberg's
Uncertainty Principle, that they could never reach a point where 100%
of people could accept the program, ergo they realised they were in a
non-reality and attempted to escape from it.

It's only one take on the theory, but it's one I know like the back
of my hand (I bet yo can't tell ;) ).

Going back to my theory of 'brackets' of reality - the majority of
people accept a 'reality if it falls within those brackets. Where
those brackets lie are a function of who you are, and you past
experiences of life. More open minded people are capable of widening
this brackets. Some are even capable of establishing multiple sets of
brackets in different contexts - take the worlds of Star Wars, Star
Trek, D&D, Dune or Middle Earth for example. All have enough
supporting evidence and back-story to make them almost believable.
That makes games, films and stories based in those 'Universes'
believable and tangible to a the people that enjoy them despite them
being not remotely related to the 'real' world as we see it in
everyday life.

Going back to my original example. The 'perfect world' that failed.
The reason it failed was it fell outside the brackets of all human
reality. Smith states that our reality seems to be 'defined by misery
and suffering'. That is true in a lot of ways. You wouldn't accept a
world where nothing bad happened as anything other than fantasy,
purely because humans are human, and by their very nature a balance
of good and evil. Upset that balance and you start to move towards
the edge of those brackets.

The concepts of 'heaven' and 'hell' (taken purely in a non-religious
context, although I acknowledge their origins in religion, before you
all start) are similar. We can accept so much good and so much evil
as tangible but beyond that we see worlds of intangible good or evil.

> Look at the movie
> "The Thirteenth Floor", where there are multiple layers of simulation.
>
> However if you choose to ignore that you are in a simulation, does
> that
> make it less real?

All I can say to that is "What is real, how do you define 'Real'?",
and I guess that's what this argument is all about.

--
Mark Benson

My Blog:
<http://mdblog.68kmac.org>