[geeks] PS/3's, Linux, etc.

Jon Gilbert jjj at io.com
Tue Aug 7 04:56:28 CDT 2007

On Aug 1, 2007, at 9:30 AM, nate at portents.com wrote:

>  Writing
> efficient and fast code for the CELL processor is, in fact, a
> difficult
> task since it requires a deep knowledge of the processor
> architecture, of
> the development environment, and some experience. High performance can
> only be achieved if very low level code is produced that is on the
> border
> line between high level languages and assembly.

To me this seems to be a major drawback of the PS3 as a gaming
platform, however, because a lot of games a cross-developed for PS3
and XBOX 360. So essentially to take full advantage of the PS3, a
game would have to be programmed in such a way that it could not be
ported to the XBOX 360 without a major rewrite, if I'm to understand
it correctly. Of course, since the 360 is by far the most popular
platform at this time, most games are likely to be written for the
360 and then ported to the PS3, resulting in worse performance on the
PS3, if anything. Does that follow?

-
Jon Gilbert
PGP fingerprint: 7FA9 B168 73CA A698 DD9E  2DF2 EE1A 3E73 3119 741F